Beef and Green Bean Casserole
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/3 C chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 C chicken broth
- 3/4 C coconut milk
- 1 TBSP arrowroot starch
- 1 lb frozen green beans
- 1 C pearl onions (outer skin removed-or use frozen)
For Serving Day
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1) In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 TBSP coconut oil. Add the onion, and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 2) Add the ground beef, garlic, sea salt, and pepper. Brown the beef, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes. transfer the beef mixture to a large bowl, and set it aside.
- 3) To make the sauce, add 1 TBSP coconut oil to the same skillet. Add the mushrooms, and cook them until they are browned and the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4) Turn up the heat to medium-high, and slowly whisk in the chicken broth, making sure to scrape the delectable brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add sea salt and pepper, and bring the mixture to a simmer for 1 minute.
- 5) In a small bowl, whisk the arrowroot starch into the coconut milk. Slowly add this mixture to the simmering broth, whisking as you pour it in. Bring the liquid just to a simmer, and remove the pan from the heat.
- 6) In the large bowl with the beef, add the sauce, green beans, and pearl onions. Stir to combine.
- Place the entire mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish, cover it, and refrigerate it to let it cool completely. Once cooled, seal the dish with a lid or plastic wrap. If using plastic wrap, also cover it with foil, and freeze until needed.
- 1) Thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight.
- 2) When ready to cook, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- 3) Remove the plastic lid or wrap and foil, and re-cover the dish with a fresh piece of foil. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until bubbly.
- 4) Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 3 TBSP coconut oil over medium heat. Add the shallots to the skillet, stirring to coat them in the oil. Cook without stirring until they start to turn golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- 5) Stir the shallots, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until all the pieces are golden brown. Transfer the shallots to a paper towel-lined plate, and sprinkle them with sea salt.
- Spread the crispy shallots evenly over the top of the casserole, and serve.