Vidalia Onion Upside Down Cornbread
- 2 Vidalia Onions
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 boxes jiffy cornbread
- 1 and ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 ounces frozen broccoli-thawed
- 4 eggs
- 16 ounces of 2% cottage cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Slice the Vidalia Onions into rings leaving the rings in order if possible
- Melt the butter in the cast iron skillet
- Place the onion slices close together into the butter, fill in any spaces with smaller bits of onion
- Finely chop any remaining Vidalia onion and reserve it.
- Let the onions cook on medium heat for 5 minutes
- While the onions are cooking mix the batter.
- In a large bowl beat 4 eggs, mix in the cottage cheese. Add cornbread mixes.
- Squeeze the water out of the broccoli and mix this into the eggs. Add the reserved chopped onions
- Pour the batter over the onions
- Bake the cornbread for 22-28 minutes or until done.
- Let the cornbread cool for 10-15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cornbread.
- Place a plate over the pan and using oven mitts carefully flip the pan over and remove the cornbread from the pan