Earl Grey Ice Cream
It’s my brother in law’s birthday and I always make him something with his favorite tea, Earl Grey. This year, he wanted ice cream, so here it is!
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 vanilla bean, split and scraped (or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
2 good quality Earl Gray teabags
3/4 cup sugar, divided (heaping 1/3 cup each time)
6 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1. Bring milk, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla to scalding. Remove from heat. Add teabags and steep for 20 minutes.
2. In a stand mixer, mix eggs and remaining 1/3 cup sugar on medium high speed until stiffened and pale yellow.
3. Set aside tea bags. On low speed, slowly add a cup of the warm milk mixture to temper the egg. Put everything back in the pot and had the heavy cream.
4. Cook on med-low heat until mixture reaches 170 degrees F. Strain and chill in the freezer for 3 hours. You can put the teabags back in for a little more flavor while the mixture cools.
5. Discard old tea bags and run cooled mixture in an ice cream maker for an hour. (This is optional but adds to the creaminess of the ice cream).
6. Put in freezer container and freeze overnight to harden completely.