My inspiration for this came from this article: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12771-jean-georges-vongerichtens-fried-sushi-cakes but neither of us likes the idea of scallop slices. My father in law just got back from Alaska and brought us some alder smoked salmon, so I made up my own salmon and cream cheese sushi balls.
cream cheese cubes
dipping sauces for serving
1. Prepare sushi rice according to package directions, you’ll need about a cup uncooked.
2. Grab a chunk of salmon and a couple cubes of cream cheese and form the rice around them to form a ball.
3. Roll balls through the panko breading until coated.
4. Fry in vegetable oil until golden.
5. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauces.