Key Lime Cupcakes
It was my step mom’s birthday on Sunday and she loves key lime pie, so I whipped up a batch of these dreamy little cakes.
1 box lemon cake mix
1 (4 oz) box lime jello
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup key lime juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 2 1/2 Tablespoons key lime juice
1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 fresh limes, sliced thin
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake tin with papers.
2. Beat together cake mix, jello, water, lime juice, vegetable oil and eggs on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium for 2 minutes.
3. Divide batter among cupcake cups, filling each 2/3 full.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
5. Use a toothpick to pierce the tops of the cupcakes in several places for the glaze.
6. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup powdered sugar and the 2 Tablespoons (or so) of lime juice into a glaze. Dip cupcake tops in the glaze and let drip.
7. For the frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter on medium until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar and beat until frosting is fluffy.
8. Frost cupcakes and store covered in the refrigerator. Garnish with limes just before serving.