This is going to take about 2 weeks to age, but is totally worth the wait. You’ll need:
peel and juice of 5 ripe lemons, plus extra for garnish (make sure they are unwaxed)
1 quart (or 2 cups) vodka (the cheap stuff is fine)
3 cups sugar
3 cups boiling water
1. Peel the rind with a potato peeler, but avoid the white pith. Put in a large glass container.
2. Pour vodka over the lemon rinds, seal and turn to mix.
3. Leave for about a week, shaking the jar from time to time.
4. Put the sugar in a large heatproof bowl, add boiling water and stir to dissolve. While the syrup is still hot, add vodka and lemon-rind mix. Stir and return to jar(s). Leave for another week.
5. Strain and add a few strips of lemon rind for garnish. Seal and keep forever.